Well here it is. You can not see much here
in the crate but its 5 sections each is 10 feet long and there
is a three foot piece that goes into the ground. That will
be the first thing we will put together. Gina will love
the wood for her burn can.
Kim McCourt is helping me with this project.
While I ran to Lowe's for some last minute parts he has dug the
hole and assembled the 3 foot ground piece with the first
section of tower. We have stuck it into the ground and are
installing the wall mount. Once we have done this we need
to level it.
At first we tried to use a level but each of the
legs have a slight difference in them and the galvanized coating
made it real hard to find a level. Once we leveled one leg
another was out and so on. So we used the old fashioned
method. We used a plumb bob. I stood up at the top
and lowered the plumb down to the base where Kim was. I
held it in the center of the tower frame while Kim moved the
bottom around till the plumb was in the center of the bottom.
Now it is time for concrete. We have 14
50lb bags. That is 700lbs of concrete. We will mix
it by hand in the wheel barrow at 100 lbs per batch and then
pour it into the hole. Gina and Kim did this dirty job
while I ran to the radio shop for the antennas we will need to
install on the last section of tower. Since this is so
high up we will have all the antenna and weather sensors already
mounted on the last section before we take it up. Here is
the concrete going into the hole.
The next step will be putting the third section of tower up.
We will be installing a 12 foot pipe on the side of the tower
with U clamps. Once we have this pipe secure we will use a
pulley attached to the top of the pole to pull up the next
section of tower. Kim will position the tower section over
the other as I will lower the section into place.
Our pole we used to lift the next section into
place did a bunch of bending but it did the job. We will
be using a thicker pipe for the forth and final sections.
Next task will be putting in the guyed wires.
We were smart enough to think ahead and
installed the guyed wire bracket on the top of the third tower
piece before we put it up. So now all Kim has to do is
climb up to the top and install the wires. Once we have
this done we need to install the brackets on the house and the
auger in the yard.
We had to cut and create the guyed wires for
each leg. We have a bracket that goes on the side of the
house to keep the wire from touching the roof or eve and
damaging the house. We have used concrete lag anchors to
attach the end of the wire to the side of the house. In
the yard we used a 48" auger style anchor. There are 5
turnbuckles to adjust the tension on the wires.
I will use my pull tester to determine tension
on the wires. From what I have read the tension needs to
be about 10% of the breaking strength. Since we are using
1/8 inch steel cable with a 650 pound breaking strength I will
tension each wire to about 65 pounds of pull. This seems
to me to be more than needed. In fact the instructions for
this tower do not even require guyed wires but we live in
Florida and our storms are real strong and we do get hurricanes
so going above the requirements is a good thing.
Here is a photo of the top of the tower as I
begin to install the antenna and weather wind sensor. This
will be the fun one to pull up. Getting dark out for the
day so we will resume with the rest of the install on Tuesday.
Here we are on Tuesday. After running my errands Kim
and I are back at it. Section 4 is going up and we are
bolting it into place. Kim has been the biggest help with
this. I tried to figure out a way I could say thank you so
he would understand.